We’ve just celebrated our one year anniversary of going live (May 1, 2012) and, with near-perfect timing, May saw the announcement of the results of three travel writing competitions for work produced in 2012. We are thrilled to report that Buckettripper and its writers garnered awards from coast to coast!
In the Society of American Travel Writers, Eastern Chapter:
- Sandra Friend and Karen Berger received a gold for the Website.
- Sandra Friend received a gold for best online article for her Buckettripper article about Houseboating in Florida
- Karen Berger received a gold for blogging for her collection of three Buckettripper stories.
- Ed Wetschler received a silver for blogging for his collection of three history-oriented blogs, which included a story he wrote for Buckettripper about the Star Spangled Banner
In the Society of American Travel Writers, Western States:
- Yvette Cardozo won a silver for her Buckettripper story on a Microneisian Homestay. Yvette also took home a silver for her (non BT) article The Brave New World of Travel Underwear (and More)
- Yvonne Horn took a bronze for her Buckettripper story about finding the best pasties in Cornwall. Yvonne also took home a silver in the column category for her collection The Garden Path.
updated June 24, 2013 to add:
In the Society of American Travel Writers, Central States:
- Kathy Rodeghier was awarded a silver in the digital media category for her article on Cruising to Antarctica.
- Melanie McManus received an honorable mention for her story about hiking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Melanie also won 1st place (Best Newspaper Article-International Destinations) for “New Zealand’s Walk on the Wild Side,” 3rd place (Best Travel App) for “Vía de la Plata,” 3rd place (Best How-To/Consumer Reporting Article) for “A Guide to Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail” and Honorable Mention (Best How-To/Consumer Reporting Article) for “10 Great Camping Spots for Star-Gazing.”
- Buckettripper writers Roberta Sotonoff and Diana Lambdin Meyer also received awards for non-BT work: Bobbi’s Everytrail Trip Advisor App for Budapest picked up an honorable mention, and Diana won a gold in the newspaper writing category.
Other Awards for Buckettripper and its Writers:
Outside of Buckettripper, our authors are gaining recognition in media from apps to fiction.
- In the Midwest Travel Writers Association’s Mark Twain Awards, announced in May, Katherine Rodeghier took home a bronze for an article about glowworms in a New Zealand cave. It wasn’t published on Buckettripper, but we don’t care: Kathy has written a passel of great stories for us — and has won more awards than we can count — so we’re celebrating, anyway. Roberta Sotonoff received a bronze in the magazine writing category.
- Earlier in the year, we announced that Scottish writer Ann Burnett had won three honors in the competition sponsored by the Scottish Association of Writers.
- And before that, Julie Hatfield won a bronze for her app on Boston Arts and Culture from the North American Travel Journalists Association.
2013 began with Buckettripper picking up five honors in the NATJA competition:
- We were named a finalist in the best website category
- Karen Berger received a silver, two bronze, and one finalist award for individual articles.
We hope we’ll have more to report soon!