Archaeological Sites * Art Festivals and Galleries * Art Museums * Monuments and Battlefields * Castles and Palaces * Cultural Presentations and Festivals * Homes of Famous People * Language and Homestays * Libraries * Music * Religious Sites and Celebrations
See all Historic/Cultural Sites Articles
Best kept secret by history teachers: History is *really* interesting. It’s just that it’s a whole lot more exciting to learn about the ancient Nabateans when you’re riding on a horse-drawn carriage through the streets of Petra than to yawn through a history book. From Petra to Kilwa, from the pyramids of the Mundo Mayo to the pyramids of Egypt, from the temples of Thailand to the lost city of Machu Picchu, from the ruins of Athens, Rome, and Stonehenge: Our writers bring you the stories and pictures that bring the past to life. And they take you to living history, as well: to the vibrant arts and cultural attractions that make each destination unique.
Click on a red flag to see the article title.
Recent History and Culture Articles:
- Hearing Concerts for Less at New York’s Carnegie Hall
- Taking Tea and the Waters at the Pump Room, Bath, England
- Re-visiting Sir Walter Scott at Abbotsford in the Scottish Borders
- Calling Quetzals at Chichen Itza in Mexico
- Following the Roman Legions Along Hadrian’s Wall
- Climbing the Machu Picchu Mountain in Peru
- Stepping Back in Time in the Almshouses and Beguinages of Bruges, Belgium
- Imagining the Lives of the Harem Women at Istanbul’s Topkapi Palace
- It’s always worth going with a guide to a historic site. Museum tours will show you nooks and crannies you’d simply bypass on your own. And you can’t even begin to make sense of the temples of Luxor or Machu Picchu without someone pointing out the hieroglyphs or the place where sacrifices were made.
- Reading a historic novel about the destination before you go is a good way to get a feel for the place before encountering the specifics, dates, and names of a hundred unfamiliar gods and kings.
- Our articles will tell you which of these trips are family friendly: Sometimes, you’ll be surprised!