Launched in 1994, the Global Strategy for a Representative, Balanced and Credible World Heritage List reflects the world’s cultural and natural diversity. World Heritage Sites are chosen based on their outstanding universal value.
It is BucketTripper’s goal to have our writers collectively visit all 936 World Heritage Sites — and to give you a close, personal account of what it’s like to experience these exceptional destinations. To see how we’re doing, check out the stories, below.
Recent Stories About World Heritage Sites
- Being Enchanted by Brazil’s Best-Preserved Colonial Town of Ouro Prêto
- Sleeping like Monks in the Caves of Goreme in Cappadocia
- Marveling from the Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Crossing the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Northeast Wales
- Learning about Totem Poles in British Columbia, Canada
- Exploring Cordoba’s Mezquita: the Mosque that Became a Cathedral
- Entering Tikal, Jungle Heart of the Maya Empire
- Pondering Power at the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, A UNESCO World Heritage Site in London, England